Etymology and meaning of bhAv in NIA languages

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Thu Jun 1 10:17:31 UTC 2000

The word "bhAv(a)" does mean price or value in Marathi, but it also
retains an older meaning of feeling/devotion (eg. bhaava taisaa deva, "God
responds according to the devotee's devotion), and it also has a meeaning
of pride in expressions like "bhaav khaa.ne".  Best,
                                        Madhav Deshpande