[buffalo sacrifice]

Jadranka Schauer nimfa-promet at ZG.TEL.HR
Fri Jul 28 04:47:48 UTC 2000

> From "Srimad Bhagavatam" by A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami, purport of Canto 5, Chapter 9, txt 15::

"According to the Vedic sastras, everything must be done according to regulative principles,
but the thieves and rogues devised their own process for killing an animalistic man. The
tamasic sastras give instructions for the sacrifice of an animal like a goat or buffalo before
the goddess Kali, but there is no mention of killing a man, however dull he may be. This
process was manufactured by the dacoits themselves. Even at this time there are many
sacrifices being conducted without reference to the Vedic scriptures. For instance, in
Calcutta recently a slaughterhouse was being advertised as a temple of the goddess Kali.
Meat-eaters foolishly purchase meat from such shops, thinking it different from ordinary meat
and taking it to be the prasada of goddess Kali. The sacrifice of a goat or a similar animal
before the goddess Kali is mentioned in sastras just to keep people from eating slaughterhouse
meat and becoming responsible for the killing of animals."