[buffalo sacrifice]

Jogesh Panda jogeshpanda at NETSCAPE.NET
Fri Jul 28 04:22:36 UTC 2000

Professor D N Jha <dnjha at DEL2.VSNL.NET.IN> wrote:
Dear List Members,
I am trying to find out the temples in India where baffalo is sacrificed =
or was sacrificed till recent times. Could any one be so kind to provide =
relevant information/references?
Sincerely,
D.N.Jha=20

Buffaloes were sacrificed until recently [late 70s] by the DumbAls or DumAls
of Sonepur and Baud in the State of Orissa, though not in what might be called
a temple. These animals were/are sacrificed at the shrine of KhambezvarI or
StambhesvarI [also caled MAhezvarI by them]. References are in the pre-1947
Gazateers [ Sorry, I dont have the bibliographical details]. H. Kulke's
Jagannath Cult book also has references to buffalo sacrifice of the DumAls
[again, no exact bibliography at this timebv].

Best wishes,
Jogesh Panda