Correction to Indological reprint wishlist

Peter Wyzlic pwyzlic at UNI-BONN.DE
Wed Jul 26 13:12:08 UTC 2000

Harry Spier <harryspier at HOTMAIL.COM> writes:

> Since I've been buying books recently I've been thinking about
> reprints.  Again and again you come across statements in an
> Indological book like "xyz by abc is the classic study on zzz".
> More often than not the book is out of print.  Sometimes you can
> find a used copy on an internet book search service and sometimes
> you can't.  I would be interested in seeing list members reprint
> wishlist.  Perhaps this might stimulate some publishers.

Libraries have the problem that the paper of publications of the 19th
century and the first half of the 20th century is already very
"brittle". So reprints of many indological works of this period is
highly desirable. But you have to take into account the (different)
copyright laws. That means, one cannot publish blindly all and
everything without checking if it is possible to do so.

> My wishlist is:
> Indo-Aryan, from the Vedas to Modern Times by Jules Bloch,
> translated from the french by Alfred Master.
>
> My list did contain The Sanskrit Language by T. Burrow, and Vedic
> Grammar by A.A. Macdonnell (not his grammar for students but his
> larger one) but I've just learned that the first is about to be
> reprinted and the second is now available.

Indeed, MacDonell's Vedic grammar from 1910 was recently reprinted by
Munshiram Manoharlal (ISBN: 81-215-0946-7).

Peter Wyzlic

--
Peter Wyzlic              Indologisches Seminar
                          Universitaet Bonn