High price reprints by Western publishers

Harry Spier harryspier at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 25 11:12:19 UTC 2000

Jonathan Silk wrote:

>>Routledge has republished the Trubner Oriental Series.  See
>>www.reference.routledge.com/trubner
>>

>I wonder if you took at look at the prices they are asking. Who would
>pay such a ransom for these books? It's really outrageous! The prices
>being asked by such publishers--think Curzon here too, not to mention
>our friends at Brill-- are unjustified by any criteria. For reprints
>the total costs are printing, binding and advertising. No royalties,
>no editorial costs. As those who potentially publish with such
>pirates, I think we should express our discontent... (not that it
>will change anything...).

I have just seen the price for a reprint of Mayrhofer's KEWA from a western
publisher as $995.00 !!

Contrast this with the low prices offered by Indian publishers.
I got the 4 vol. set of Turners CDIAL for $175.00.
I got the 5 vol. set of Brugmann's Comparative Grammar for $75.00 (including
airmail shipping!!).
I got a 10 vol. set of the Taittiriya Samhita for $75.00.
I've seen the 19 vol. set of Griersons Linguistic Survey offered for
$416.00.
etc. etc.

Harry Spier
371 Brickman Rd.