frog and princess(?)

Valerie J Roebuck vjroebuck at APPLEONLINE.NET
Mon Jul 24 12:30:11 UTC 2000

The materials sound unconventional for an image intended for worship, but
that doesn't necessarily mean that it's not authentic.  It could be part of
a piece of shrine decoration, for example.

It's not possible to decide on date, authenticity etc without actually
handling the object, so I can only suggest that the owner takes the piece
to the nearest museum with a good Indian collection for an opinion.
(Perhaps list members can advise which this is?)

As the owner says, it is far from crude, and clearly deserves following up.
I am still trying to find out about the iconography.

I rather like Swaminathan Madhuresan's suggestion of a Monsoon rain god.
In any case, there must surely be some sort of water/fertility connection.

Valerie J Roebuck
Manchester, UK