frog and princess(?)

Sun Jul 23 23:27:50 UTC 2000

>But it doesn't look *that* recent, in terms of the proportions of the
>female figure, the style of her headgear etc.

The owner of the statue, who is in Florida, says the
following -

I bought it from a young lady at a local flea market.

It is small, perhaps 7" high, made from a white metal
(slag, pot metal, or lead?) that has been poured into
a mold. There is great detail of a very toothed frog,
with a female sitting upon the left knee. It weighs 3+
lbs. in air, 20% less in water; has much age to it, and
appears to have been out of doors most of its existence.

It is hollow, in that it is from a pouring; indeed
upon closer examination it looks like it was made from
2 pouring. It is far from crude, with much detail,
especially on the female.

It is possible that it was broken off from its stand.
I had originally thought of it as some kind of a
fanciful gargoyle. It is significantly weathered and I
would guess at 100 years or more.

Her right hand, forearm, elbow and upper arm rests upon
the right shoulder of the frog.  She sits upon his knee
with his left hand just behind where she sits.  She seems
to lean into the crook of his left forearm, elbow, and
upper arm.