The date of Sankara

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 18 18:02:29 UTC 2000

vsundaresan at hotmail.com wrote:
>  We only know the relative order of dates. There
>is no strong information about how many years actually separated
>Sankara and Vacaspatimisra. One also has to consider the date of
>Bhaskara, and those of Buddhist authors who refer to Bhaskara.

Now, you agree that Sankara possibly lived as late as 850 CE.
Kunjunni Raja's analysis when updated with Vacaspati
(late 10th century) makes it rather more like 900 CE. Pl. note
that while Kunjunni subtracts only around 40 years from
vAcaspati to get to Sankara, a liberal 75 yrs. were taken out
to reach this 900 CE. I don't know  how Bhaskara comes
into this unless he or his successors lived between 850-900 CE.

Regards,
N. Ganesan