The date of Sankara

Mon Jul 17 00:28:22 UTC 2000

Naga Ganesan wrote:

>It is often claimed in this list that Kunjunni Raja supports
>a date of 800 CE for Adi Sankara. But, this 800 date is
>arrived at by taking vAcaspati's as 841. If Slaje and Srinivasan
>are right about the 976 CE date for vAcaspati, then Adi Sankara
>date must also correspondingly brought forward by atleast
>a century. Is it not?

Faulty logic. We only know the relative order of dates. There
is no strong information about how many years actually separated
Sankara and Vacaspatimisra. One also has to consider the date of
Bhaskara, and those of Buddhist authors who refer to Bhaskara. We
have gone over this issue ad nauseum. E.g. see my earlier post -

<listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-shl/WA.EXE?A2=ind0005&L=indology&D=1&P=22952>.

If you have good reasons to refute this, please specify details.

Best wishes,
Vidyasankar