Help needed in Marathi spelling and pronunciation

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Mon Jan 31 00:39:04 UTC 2000

The standard Marathi developed essentially as standardization of the
dialect of Marathi used by the Peshwas in Pune.  The Peshwas were
Chitpavan Brahmins, migrants from the region of Konkan, and the dialects
of Marathi in Konkan to this day have more pronounced nasalization of
vowels.  In Pune, the written standard Marathi followed the nasalized
Konkan dialect of the Peshwas, though this nasalization was not evident in
the Marathi spoken by the rest of the Brahmins and others in the region of
Pune.  Over time, there developed a recognizable gap between the written
nasalized Marathi and the actually spoken standard of Pune.  For example,
a word for "some" was written as kaa~hii~, with nasalization marked with
Anusvaaras on both syllables.  Now this has been taken out and the word is
written simply as kaahii.  There are good discussions of these issues in
Marathi materials.  I will see if I can locate any English language
discussion of these issues.
        When I learned Marathi writing in schools, I learned it with all
these nasalized spellings, and I had to unlearn these nasalized spellings
a few years ago when I published a book in Marathi about Sanskrit and
Prakrit languages.
 Best,
                                        Madhav Deshpande