mitochondria and Indology (was Re: AIT, NEW genetic evidence)

Paul Kekai Manansala kekai at JPS.NET
Fri Jan 14 17:19:19 UTC 2000

Vidyasankar Sundaresan wrote:

> Paul Kekai Manansala <kekai at JPS.NET> wrote:
>
> >_mtDNA Shows Signs of Paternal Influence_
> >        Evelyn Strauss
> >        Science 1999 December 24; 286: 2436a
> >
>  This recent discovery of paternal influence in hominid
> species mtDNA will have far-reaching consequences for anthropological
> conclusions based on genetic studies. Shows how science constantly forces
> one to challenge long-held assumptions.

Well, we will have to wait and see.  There still is no known mechanism
for recombination in mtDNA. The researchers came to their conclusions
because they found anomalies that could not be explained by maternal
inheritance.  However, you also can not directly link it to paternal
inheritance. That is an assumption.

Critics point out that the anomalies could be due to other factors
besides paternal influence.

Regards,
Paul Kekai Manansala

--