History of indian cooking

Geeta Bharathan geeta at LIFE.BIO.SUNYSB.EDU
Fri Jan 14 10:35:15 UTC 2000

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Yashwant Malaiya wrote:

> Can you give some detailed information about the books
> (Pakadrapana, books by Achaya etc), so that we can try to
> locate them?

KT Achaya. Indian Food. A Historical Companion. Oxford India. 1994.
ISBN 019564416-6.

KT Achaya. A Historical Dictionary of Indian Food. Oxford India. 1998.
ISBN 019564254-6

> When was cumin seed was introduced in India?

According to Achaya (1998), it is mentioned "after 300 BC (Charaka,
Sushrutha, Kautilya) as ajaji, karavi and kuchika. Late Sanskrit has
jeeraka ...from the Persian zira."

--Geeta