History of indian cooking

Yashwant Malaiya malaiya at CS.COLOSTATE.EDU
Fri Jan 14 01:30:42 UTC 2000

Vishal Agarwal, Geeta Bharathan:

Can you give some detailed information about the books
(Pakadrapana, books by Achaya etc), so that we can try to
locate them?

My guess is that Pakashastras and Supashastras will be very
difficult to get.

Incidentally what are the main spices 'Pakadarpana' seems to
use? I would assume that it does not use cooking techniques
like baking (in a enclosed oven) or steaming.  I'm also
curious about use of onions and garlic. I know that in some
orthodox communites who are not vegetarian, these used
to be avoided.

Yashwant

When was cumin seed was introduced in India?