mitochondria and Indology (was Re: AIT, NEW genetic evidence)

Tue Jan 11 22:50:09 UTC 2000

Paul Kekai Manansala <kekai at JPS.NET> wrote:

>_mtDNA Shows Signs of Paternal Influence_
>        Evelyn Strauss
>        Science 1999 December 24; 286: 2436a

Thanks for the reference. Previously, to my knowledge, biparental
inheritance of mtDNA had been seen in some bacteria, angiosperms and a
mollusc species. This recent discovery of paternal influence in hominid
species mtDNA will have far-reaching consequences for anthropological
conclusions based on genetic studies. Shows how science constantly forces
one to challenge long-held assumptions.

Vidyasankar

ps. It would be better not to use such terms as "bloodlines" with respect to
genetic evidence. They are extremely fuzzy, or worse still, meaningless in
the context.