Vital Statistics

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 10 18:28:49 UTC 2000

   Probably, you are confusing roman script with roman numerals.
As recommended in the Indology homepage, a look/study into Indological
jls. and transliterated Indic into roman script (*NOT* roman numbers)
may help.

Regards,
N. Ganesan

PS: I have abou 10 books on place-value notation.

---------------------------------
RB>     I am confused. My impression is that the place value notation of
today was never used by romans. Even Binary     arithmatic in microchips is
dependant on the place value notation ( scaling up by an order magnitude
with a bit      shift). I would like to know about other non INdian cultures
which independantly evolved such a notation. The chinese        abacus would
be one example but I dont know if that predates such systems in India.

         Even the mordern arabic numerals used through out the world
resemble and originate from indian numerals.

regards

Rajarshi