zrIbhASya

Martin Gansten Martin.Gansten at TEOL.LU.SE
Thu Jan 6 16:56:15 UTC 2000

>Does the Sribhashyam call Sankara as a "prachanna-bauddha"?

Without explicitly mentioning Sankara, the passage cited (2.2.27) does say
that the arguments against the (Yogacara) doctrine of 'perception only'
(i.e., the unreality of subject and object) have already been dealt with in
connection with the refutation of 'crypto-Buddhism in the guise of Vedic
teachings' (vedavaadacchadmapracchannabauddha) -- obviously Advaita.

There is also a supposed Padmapurana passage making use of this term:
maayaavaadam asacchaastra.m prachannabauddham ucyate, etc. However, I have
only seen these lines quoted in modern, apologetic Vaishnava texts; I can't
say whether they are really there in the Purana MSS.

Regards,
Martin Gansten