'INDIA ABROAD' on new textbooks

Samar Abbas abbas at IOPB.RES.IN
Tue Feb 29 06:21:26 UTC 2000

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Ravi Chawla wrote :
> I will like to hear from those people who believe that Rama really
> lived in a human form in and some historical facts to prove that.

There are several facts indicating that Rama was a historical figure
which are summarised in these sites by the Dalit and *** schools

  http://dalitstan.org/books/bibai/bibai3.html  (see the appendix also)
  http://www.hindunet.org/alt_hindu_home/1994_2/msg00026.html
  http://www.hindunet.org/hindu_history/ancient/ramayan/rama_vartak.html
  http://www.hindunet.org/alt_hindu/1994/msg00582.html

Although vague, the Ramayana and Mahabharata probably indicate some form
of history. Remember that Asoka was at one time also considered `mythical'
before the discovery of his inscriptions. Besides, there are no other
historical sources for the period.

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Vishal Agarwal wrote:
> Others, who write in the same vein, are: Seema Mustafa ... Shabana Azmi,
> ... As for their credentials as historians, please read 'Eminent
> Historians'by Arun Shourie.

As for Pandit Arun Shourie et al's credentials as historians, and
with more entertaining `gems' from *** history books, see the article
published in Dalitstan Journal -

  `Hindutva Historical Fraud' by M.Munda and N.Taneja,
   http://dalitstan.org/journal/politics/hindutva/hh_fraud.html

Samar