Evils of Written Vedas? (apology for cross-posting)

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Fri Feb 18 16:45:11 UTC 2000

There is a verse in one of the Zik.saa that I remember.  It goes like
this, and I remember only parts of it:

        giitii ziighrii zira.hkampii tathaa likhita-paa.thaka.h /
        ....                            .sa.d ete paa.thakaadhamaa.h //

I will try to trace the verse in the sources available to me.  It
simultaneously admits that the Vedas were available in written format, and
yet one should not be reading them from these written sources.  During my
recent visit to Pune, Mr. Dinkar Phadke, a Veda reciter trained in
Varanasi, told me that his teachers in Varanasi always had the written
text available for consultation, but that the South Indian reciters
shunned the use of written sources completely.
                                        Madhav Deshpande