Fw: Re: Oedipus in Sanskrit?

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Mon Feb 14 00:21:50 UTC 2000

On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, Koenraad Elst wrote:

> All the same, the ban [by Wujastyk] on discussion of such a pivotal
> question for the whole Indology field risks receiving a footnote
> mention in some future Blunder Book of how academics missed yet
> another train of scientific progress.

I do not appreciate your criticism, especially since it is a false and
somewhat sly misrepresentation of my policy for this list on this matter.

The ban was imposed, and is still in force, not because this is a topic
unworthy of discussion, but for the reason that many people seem unable to
discuss it without becoming rude and boorish.  My ban is for reasons of
decency and good manners, which I will enforce on this list to the best of
my abilities.  Anyone who does not feel that basic politeness is a
fundamental value has no place in this discussion list.  I'm only sorry
that I do not have time to be even more draconian in my insistence on good
manners in this this list.  There are many vociferous contributors who
frankly waste our time and devalue the discussion by their angry,
insulting, and inaccurate contributions.  You know who you are.

--
Dominik Wujastyk
Founder, INDOLOGY list.