SV: Integrity of academia

Swami Tyagananda tyag at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Dec 28 22:00:23 UTC 2000

>>Shiva
>>point
>>or
>>gazed
>>
>>>Is the author of this statement in deep denial, or am I misinformed? I
>>>always thought a Shiva-linga >was< a phallic symbol, probably the most
>>>famous phallic symbol in existence?
>>
>>The linga is most certainly a penis *originally*, and has in early art been
>>depicted as such. However, it is probably a long time ago that practicing
>>Hindus thought of it as a penis. It has long since become a powerful cosmic
>>symbol. You therefore have to look at historical periods when you interpret
>>the symbol. Kripal's critic may be in good faith, although he may be
>>misinformed about the early history of Shaivism. Or he may simply be busy
>>doing what is often done in religious circles: projecting modern ideas
>>backwards into the past, so that the past does not seem scandalous to
>>modern sensibilities. Academics are not supposed to do so, but amateurs and
>>theologians often do.
>>
>>Lars Martin Fosse

Listmembers, I am the author of the piece that is being discussed. Thanks
for your input. Let me clarify. I am neither misinformed about the early
history of Shaivism nor I do have any agenda similar to "what is often done
in religious circles." All that I wrote was that practicing Hindus do not
have "Shiva's penis" in mind when they worship him. Nor is there any
evidence that Hindus of ancient times thought of the penis when they
worshipped Shiva. This reality does not conflict with the theory that the
Shivalinga was a phallic symbol. It may have been, but that is NOT what a
Hindu thinks while worshipping.
        More importantly, the linga is itself a symbol of Shiva. By no stretch of
imagination can it becomes Shiva's linga or "Shiva's penis," which is what
Kripal writes in his book.

Swami Tyagananda