Harappan Euhemerus

Sun Dec 17 09:35:35 UTC 2000

Steve Farmer <saf at SAFARMER.COM> wrote:

>of "Vishnu, the young, tall, lanky assistant of Indra." But I'm
>an evidential scholar, Stephen. I'd be happy to discuss whatever

Vishnu = Upendra, advises Indra to use the vajra on Vrtra, who
hid the cosmic waters. Vishnu also takes three mysterious steps.
If you take into account the Puranic legend, any midget who
suddenly grows into a tall giant must have been quite lanky :-))

>>   access to the Asura weapons and secures a vajra, thunderbolt,
>>   from the chief counsellor of the Asuras, Ushanas...

That one throws me. I thought Dadhici, with the horse's head, who
supplied the bones to make the vajra, was an Atharvan ...

I have no idea what Malati Shendge really writes, but I wonder what
makes it okay and non-euhemeristic to refer to the mythical Dadhichi
whenever archaeologists discover real horse skulls in ancient graves.

Vidyasankar