PDF (was publication of IASS papers on CDROM)

Vidhyanath Rao rao.3 at OSU.EDU
Sat Dec 16 16:36:22 UTC 2000

You don't need MikTeX to produce pdf. MikTeX merely contains an
implementation of pdftex (which is still beta though). Unix versions of TeX
may have to complied locally, as pdftex is written to be generic, that
should pose no problem. [On Windows, please be warned that Ghostscript
based ps2pdf must use the .exe version not the Perl script, as I found out
by hard experience.]

But: Acrobat Reader seems to have some trouble printing the output of
pdftex. Screen output looks fine, but I (and especially my freshmen
students) have had trouble with Acroread dropping or substituting fonts
without a by your leave.

My biggest reservation about CD-ROM publications is the potential problem
with fonts. Every source of documents seems to want to use their own font
sets, literring the font folder with hundreds of fonts used once. Unicode's
promise seems to be still in the future. I can't get TITUS documents in UTF-
8 to display correctly (and they say that it works only in Windows, anyway).

Regards
Nath