nAraNa_n, the tamil word for nArAyaNa (was: Vishnu)

Periannan Chandrasekaran perichandra at YAHOO.COM
Fri Dec 15 06:43:15 UTC 2000

--- Vidyasankar Sundaresan <vsundaresan at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
> Thanks, Ganesan. This has been educative, but I couldn't find
> naalikam in the online Tamil lexicon, at
>
> http://www.uni-koeln.de/phil-fak/indologie/tamil/otl_search.html.
>
> nAL, nAl, nal etc. were listed, but nothing turned up under the
> spellings naalika, naalaka, nAlaka, nAlika, nor under the same
> entries with the letter m added at the end.

nAlikam

otl nAlikam nAlikam 01 1. lotus; 2. buffalo

nAlikam

otl nAlikam nAlikam 02 crow

> >Gowda-Emeneau is right to point out -aNa in sAyaNa as Drav.
> >Do you think they are not Tamil?
>
> I think it is right to derive it from Dravidian roots. Emeneau
> and Gowda do cite Burnell and Cowell. But perhaps, it is not
> right to link -aNa to -aNNa as in elder brother?

-aNa can be very authoritatively linked to -aNNa as in elder brother.
DEDR # 131:
Ta. aNNan....
Ka. aNNa, aNa = elder brother; respectful address to an older male
Konda. ana elder brother;

The aN- words for elder brother are derived from the Drav. root aN = upper
DEDR #110:

Ta. aNNal = great person; aNNam = palate, roof of mouth;
aNNavi = teacher, director of theatrical performances.
Ka. aNNe, aNNa, aNa = excellence, purity

It is interesting to see from DEDR entries that onlyt Kannada seems
to drop one of the double Ns.

> The only problem is that k/c => z does not explain s in
> the name sAyaNa, which was never written as zAyaNa.

A cursory look at the c-initial entries of DEDR shows that there
are so many entries that have s- for non-Tamil languages.
example:
DER #2464:
Ta. cAri = time, turn
Ma. sAri = id.