Questions about non-Tamil Jain, Buddhist and Ajivika beliefs

Royce Wiles Royce.Wiles at ANU.EDU.AU
Wed Dec 6 22:46:27 UTC 2000

>In a message dated 12/5/2000 7:59:38 PM Central Standard Time,
>malaiya at CS.COLOSTATE.EDU writes:
>
>> The main difference between Jainism and Buddhism was that Buddhism, while
>>  it did opposed killing of animals, did not oppose eating of meat.
>
>I am interested in what the Jain and Buddhist scriptures say regarding the
>rebirth of butchers, hunters, courtesans, and priests who sacrifice animals.
>Thanks in advance.

The position in Jainism may not be that straightforward, there is a
possibility (suggested by one or two citations in old texts) that meat was
an acceptable food in early stages of Jainism. A useful place to start
looking into this would be

Paul DUNDAS. 1998. The meat at the wedding feasts : Krsna, vegetarianism
and a Jain dispute. Toronto : University of Toronto, Centre for South Asian
Studies, 1998. 28 p. ; 23 cm. (The 1997 Roop Lal Jain Lecture).