genes and languages--Kurds and Georgians]

Bjarte Kaldhol bjartekal at AH.TELIA.NO
Mon Dec 4 11:19:24 UTC 2000

Can "a quick summary, using 360 base pairs from the mtDNA sequence" from
"45 Georgians and 29 Kurds" have any scientific value?

Best wishes,
Bjarte Kaldhol

----------
> From: Lars Martin Fosse <lmfosse at ELENDER.HU>
> To: INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK
> Subject: genes and languages--Kurds and Georgians]
> Date: 3. desember 2000 23:56
>
> For those of you are interested in the genes/languages theme, I forward a
message on the Indo-European list.

<EuropeanArchaeology at egroups.com>,
> >     <NEAsianStudies at egroups.com>
>
> > Since it has come up repeatedly on this list and others, the equating
of
> > genes, pots, peoples and languages, an interesting article that hasn't
seen
> > much press is:
>
> > Comas, Calafell, et al. (2000) Georgian and Kurd mtDNA sequence
analysis
> > shows a lack of correlation between languages and female genetic
lineages,
> > AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL ANTHROPOLOGY Vol. 112, 5-16.
>
> > In a quick summary, using 360 base pairs from the mtDNA sequence, they
> > looked at the mtDNA from 45 Georgians and 29 Kurds.  Georgians are
> > Kartvelian speakers while the Kurds are Indo-Iranian speakers. The
> > genetic analysis points only to minor differences between the Georgians
> > and Kurds and the rest of the European populations and very different
> > from the Basque population (which Georgians are often linked to).
Their