Original language of Yoga Suutra

Sun Dec 3 10:19:38 UTC 2000

To bring this thread back to its subject line -

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000 01:36:36 +0000, Dmitri <dmitris at PIPELINE.COM>
wrote about the yogasUtras:

>The text has peculiar structure with a lot of ellipsis-like gaps
>that might be the result of translation from other language while
attempting
>to make word-by-word translation. That is all.

I'm curious about the above observation. Could you cite a specific
example of an ellipsis like gap from the text? It may be that the
intentionally terse structure of the sUtras could cause a new
reader to think so. I find the flow of ideas from one sUtra line
to another in the yogasUtra to be remarkably lucid and more self-
explanatory than in any other sUtra text.

Vidyasankar