Buddha and Hitler

Luis Gonzalez-Reimann reimann at UCLINK4.BERKELEY.EDU
Sat Dec 2 00:18:01 UTC 2000

The Indologist mentioned in the PBS program is Walther Wust.  The narrator
of the program comments on his speech to the SS in March, 1937, in Munich.
The ideas of Wust, including the speech mentioned in the PBS program, are
discussed in pp. 89-91 of:

Pollock, Sheldon. 1993. Deep Orientalism?: Notes on Sanskrit and Power
Beyond the Raj. In Orientalism and the Postcolonial Predicament:
Perspectives on South Asia, eds. Carol A. Breckenridge and Peter van der
Veer, 77-133. South Asia Seminar Series. Philadelphia: University of
Pennsylvania Press. Papers presented at the 44th Annual South Asia Seminar
held at the University of Pennsylvania, 1988/1989.

Best,

Luis Gonzalez-Reimann
University of California, Berkeley