[Re: Inputting Sanskrit Dictionary(Bon-wa Daijiten)]

JAEKWAN SHIM shimj at USA.NET
Mon Aug 28 14:56:04 UTC 2000

To say exactly, What I have done was based on the Bon-wa Daijiten to collect
words, and is not the same with that. My <list of words> is quite different
from Bon-wa Daijiten in many points, but rather looks similar with Hirakawa's
Chinese-Sanskrit Dictionary(1997), which is also based on Bon-wa Daijiten.

please see my sample.(http://phaidrus.hihome.com)

I basically agree with Dr.Hodge but I wonder if my work need a permission from
them. I couldn't come up with copyright law in this case well. But If I need a
permisstion, I'll try.
I'am looking for the way everybody can use this free.

Many thanks,
Jaekwan Shim
Dept. of Philosophy
Kangnung National Univ.
South Korea

Stephen Hodge <s.hodge at PADMACHOLING.FREESERVE.CO.UK> wrote:
Jaekwan Shim wrote:

I almost finished the inputting of the Sanskrit-Chinese(Japanese)
Dictionary(Kan-yaku Taisho Bon-wa Daijiten by Unrai Wogiwara and
Naoshiro
Tsuji) in computer.(100,198 line / 2,947page-letter size / 2.2Mbite).
*********
This sounds a very useful and worthwhile project.  However there is
one big problem.   As far as I know the Bon-Wa Jiten is still
copyrighted.   As I understand the situation, unless you have explicit
permission from the publishers, it will be illegal under international
copyright law to publish this electronically -- I assume Korea is a
signatory to this law.   You could be liable to claims of very
substantial damages.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge