Democracy in old India

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 20 12:07:37 UTC 2000

<<<
Thanks for the reference. Makes for very interesting reading.

Corruption and inefficiency are good reasons to remove someone
from his post. But why debar all the relatives of such a man,
unless the default option was to make any such appointment
hereditary? Do we have evidence for what qualified a person to
be appointed to an administrative post in the first place?

In the detailed long inscription of ParAntaka Cholan dated 1020 A.D.,
there are two sections: one on qualifications, the other on
disqualifications, and some other material. I have the whole text
of the Tamil inscription from a few different articles, (eg.,
'Kamban aDippoDi' S. Ganesan's from the 1968 World Tamil conference
volume, etc.,) somewhere. Surely, the book on uttaramErUr
by Nagasamy will have it. Also, check Kanchi Sankaracharyar's
Deivattin kural has some chapters on it. Etc.,
It is interesting that many in Indian studies have not heard
of this.

Dr. Nagaswamy's article (later appeared in The Hindu) mainly
focusses on the disqualifications, that too few points of the
uttaramErUr inscription. In the context of Bofors, Mme. Jaya, ...

Regards,
N. Ganesan