Democracy in old India

Sun Aug 20 00:19:46 UTC 2000

>Contrary to the view that democracy in pre-19th century India
>were not there, there are detailed inscriptions about ballot casting
>from the Chola period. Below is the beginning sections of an article
>by the art historian, Dr. R. Nagaswamy who sent this to me a while ago.

Thanks for the reference. Makes for very interesting reading.

Corruption and inefficiency are good reasons to remove someone
from his post. But why debar all the relatives of such a man,
unless the default option was to make any such appointment
hereditary? Do we have evidence for what qualified a person to
be appointed to an administrative post in the first place?

Vidyasankar