vasudhaiva ku.tumbakam indeed !

Subrahmanya S. subrahmanyas at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 9 15:52:49 UTC 2000

>From: Madhav Deshpande <mmdesh at UMICH.EDU>
>
>I have never been a supporter of the Hindutva politics, and yet in making
>such statements, we, as Indologists <clipped>........

Hmm, I wonder why Dr.Deshpande feels the need to restate
his anti-hindutva leanings ? How does it matter ?
I have seen other people of Indian origin also feel the need
to do so on this list.

Generally in the present Euro-dominated Indian studies academia,
a person of Indian origin has to repeatedly state that he or she
is not this or that - lest he/she be labelled.
If Dr. Deshpande who has been in Indology for so long feels that
he has to do it - then imagine a new person entering the field,
and without tenure, having to survive !

Also, note that a person of European origin does not have
to make any such disclaimers. Their scholarship is self-evident.

Regards,
Subrahmanya