Nationalisms

Rajarshi Banerjee rajarshi.banerjee at SMGINC.COM
Wed Aug 9 00:54:43 UTC 2000

GT> So it appears that it is not impossible for the contemporary Indian to
become well-informed about recent scholarship in Vedic, if he or she is so
inclined. But the 'millions' who read Rajaram will perhaps take more
pleasure in Rajaram's horses than in genuine scholarship?
An understanding of the indian public would tell you that rajarams's books
is not being read by millions and is not a mainstream topic. Out of all the
educated indians I have met, I have only met one person who knew Rajaram's
name and about his decipherment attempts.
I also remember a list member who keeps track of indian news and finds it
"somewhat nuanced". This is a bit thick. The news is written with a certain
audience in mind. Dont see why the news of a whole nation has to be nuanced
in a way to satisfy the requirements of an individual.
 I remember reading the indian coverage on the recent WTO conference in
seattle and also the US coverage. There is an obvious dfference and it would
be surprising if there wasn't.
regards RB