frog and princess?

Allen W Thrasher athr at LOC.GOV
Tue Aug 8 19:30:43 UTC 2000

The rsi Suka, whose name of course means "parrot," is often shown in
art as a man with a parrot's head.  Indeed, I believe I have seen
pictures of him as simply a parrot, though I could not cite this.
Therefore I decided to see if there were any sages named "frog" who
might then be the object of the sculpture discussed in this thread.
Sorensen's Index to the Names in the Mahabharata showed only
Mandukaraj or Mandukaraja, "king of the frogs," whose personal name is
Ayu(s), citing III, ++13167, 13173, 13178.  (The plus signs represent
Sorensen's obelisks.) S.v. Ayu is cited #461 (Vamadevacarita), III,
1921, +13173.  Perhaps this may be of assistance.

I can't find that an eponymous Manduka is ever given as the ancestors
of the Mandukyas as a group of brahmins.

Another example of an rsi shown as an animal is the statuette of
Patanjali as a coiled snake illustrated in Staal's Reader in the
Sanskrit Grammarians.

Allen Thrasher