vasudhaiva ku.tumbakam revisited

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Sat Aug 5 11:49:21 UTC 2000

I am not quite sure what the real point of contention is.  For most modern
Indians, anything in Sanskrit is as good as ancient and even Vedic.  The
theological equality of Sanskrit with Vedic was acceptable already to
Kaatyaayana (cf. vaarttika:  tat tulyam vedazabdena).  The phrase
vasudhaiva ku.tumbakam and its medieval parallel Marathi phrase "he
vizvaci maaze ghara" were used in perfectly positive universalistic sense.
But it is obvious that such phrases can be co-opted for hegemonic purposes
as well.  A truly Vedic "satyam eva jayate" has become totally meaningless
in its modern environment.
                                        Madhav Deshpande