vasudhaiva ku.tumbakam revisited

Peter Freund pfreund at MUM.EDU
Sat Aug 5 01:26:19 UTC 2000

"Jan E.M. Houben" wrote:

> 1. No ancient occurrence in a straightforward dharmic source (e.g.
> manusm.rti) or Vedic source can be found for the phrase, in spite of recent
> claims attached to it through wrong references (I assume out of carelessness
> plus wishful thinking plus trusting unreliable sources, though the help of
> some little "pious fraud" here and there cannot be excluded ... ).

Thomas Egenes replies that the reference to Manusmirti was corrected in later
editions of his book:
The expression vasudhaiva kuTumbakam is now referenced as Mahopanishad 6:71.

This can be found on page 452 of the Upanishatsamgraha. (Motilal Banarsidass,
1970)

Is this a sufficiently "ancient" Vedic source for the phrase?

Sincerely,

Peter Freund