Circumcision in Indian literature

Phillip Ernest phillip.ernest at UTORONTO.CA
Wed Aug 2 02:22:49 UTC 2000

Dear List-members:

I am interested in finding references to male and female circumcision in
Sanskrit literature in particular, but in literature in Indian languages
generally, up to and including the early centuries of contact with Islam.
With Sanskrit I would even be interested in references up to the modern
period.  I am ashamed to say that, not having read the Kama Sutra in many
years, I don't even know if there are references in that most obvious
source, but I think there must be, at least to male circumcision.

Much thanks.