Marathi learning material in english

Christian Lee Novetzke cln4 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue Aug 1 14:12:37 UTC 2000

In addition to the resources mentioned by Dr Deshpande, Maxine Berntsen and
(I believe) Sucheta Paranjpe have completed a fifth book for use in an
intermediate/advanced Marathi course.  UPenn might have information about
these texts.  And I recall listening to some audio made for teaching
Marathi when I began to study the language about ten years ago.  These
tapes might be at UPenn.  Also, you might find _Learning Marathi_ by Drs.
Kalyan Kale and Anjali Soman useful.  Their text emphasizes speaking and is
used to train non-Marathi speaking Indian civil servants.  A new edition
with a revised table of contents and index should be out within the
year.  There is also a Marathi version of the Government of India's "Learn
X in 30 Days".  The latter two are probably available through South Asia Books.

A number of Marathi-English dictionaries are available.  I use Molesworth's
and Deshpande's dictionaries, and for Old Marathi, a new dictionary
compiled by S.G. Tulpule and Anne Feldhaus.  The most thorough reference is
the _Maharashtra Shubdakosh_, which you could use in conjunction with one
of the Marathi-English dictionaries.

Check out Columbia University's Inventory of Language Materials at:

http://www.columbia.edu/~fp7/ilm/

Fran Pritchett maintains this site, with a catalogue of learning materials
for a number of languages.

Christian