Lokananda

Roland Steiner steiner at MAILER.UNI-MARBURG.DE
Tue Apr 25 13:26:25 UTC 2000

Critical Edition of the Tibetan translation of the Lokaananda with
German translation:
- Candragomins Lokaanandanaa.taka. Nach dem tibetischen
Tanjur herausgegeben und übersetzt. Ein Beitrag zur indischen
Schauspieldichtung. Von Michael Hahn. Wiesbaden: Otto
Harrassowitz 1974 (Asiatische Forschungen. 39.).

Bengali Translation of Hahn`s German Translation by Ratna
Basu. Kaalakaataa 1983.

English Translation of the Tibetan Translation:
- Joy for the World. A Buddhist Play by Candragomin. Transl.
with an Introduction and Notes by Michael Hahn. Dharma
Publishing 1987.

> Was Harshadeva's Nagananda inspired by Lokananda?
Probably yes. See
- Michael Hahn: "General Introduction", in: The Recensions of
the Naagaananda by Har.sadeva. Vol. 1. The North Indian
Recension. New Delhi: Aditya Prakashan 1991, pp. I-X.
- Roland Steiner: "Untersuchungen zu Har.sadevas
Naagaananda und zum indischen Schauspiel". Swisttal-Odendorf
1997 (Indica et Tibetica. 31.), esp. pp. 23-44 (§ 1.1.1:
"Abhaengigkeit des Naagaananda vom Lokaananda?"
["Dependence of Naagaananda on Lokaananda?"]; § 1.1.2:
"Datierung des Schauspielautors Candragomin" ["Dating of the
playwright Candragomin"]).

> does Lokananda or Ma.nicuu.daavadaana have any episode connected
> with Malaya too?
No. The Malaya mountains are mentioned only once in act 5,
stanza 5:
VIDYAADHARII: "O my husband, where he has gone ...".
VIDYAADHARA (laughing):" ... is something _you_ should be
able to tell me!
        5. After having beheld the whole of the earth / like some
painting viewed / from the vault of heaven / will he now journey
/ to a peak of the Malaya Mountains, / given a fresh appearance
/ by the splashing ocean waves, / or to one of the pleasant and
wondrous / broad mountain terraces of Mt. Meru? / Will he
journey to Mt. Paarijaata, / or to a peak of the Himavant / where
the gracious and gleaming hosts / of the perfect dwell in
happiness supreme?" (Transl. Hahn, pp. 105-6).

With kind regards,
Roland Steiner