snake & mongoose in ancient India - note on the ku.sumbha(ka)-

Arlo Griffiths griffithsa at RULLET.LEIDENUNIV.NL
Thu Apr 13 07:10:16 UTC 2000

I'd just like to note that the rendering 'mongoose', which was quoted by
P.K. Mansala for .RV 1.191.15/16,  ku.sumbhak;a- (indeed glossed nakula- by
Saaya.na; the passage itself is worth quoting: "ku.sumbhaka.h ku.m
p.rthivii.m sumbhati vilikhaniiti sarpaa.naa.m kutsita.m sumbhayitaa
nigrahiitaa ku.sumbhako nakula.h | sa te vi.sa.m haratv iti ;se.sa.h | yadi
na tathaa karoti taka.m kutsita.m ta.m nakulam a;smanaa bhinadmi
vidaarayaami |") is not accepted by earlier (e.g. Macdonell/Keith, Vedic
Index of Names and Subjects, s.v.) nor by more recent Vedists (e.g.
Mayrhofer. EWAia, s.v.).
    Furthermore, the indian exegetes were not unanimous in their
interpretation, as pseudo-Saaya.na, in his bhaa.sya on AV;S 2.32.6 glosses
ku.s;umbha- (with some mss. reading .suk;umbha-) as "avayavavi;se.sa-".
    So this RV passage had probably better not be used when we're trying to
write the ethological history of mongooses in India.

Arlo Griffiths