(Kein Thema)/ Saramaa

Mon Apr 10 17:45:20 UTC 2000

Dealt with, I believe in some detail,  by K.Hoffmann long ago, see his
Aufsaetze zur Indoiranistik. Wiesbaden 1985-6/1991

as for tava+ USuSO  = gen. perfect participle  of vas "you that has
dwelt/stayed overnight "

bhUmi-kapaThu is a particular kind of (white?) mushroom, in case derived
from the milk products vomited by the bitch Saramaa.

grAmasya jaghanArdhe means at the "back end of the settlement/trek'

Even Brahmana time Indo-Aryans were still on the move, as W. Rau has shown
(see his paper in:  Inside the texts, Harvard Oriental ser. Opera Minora
vol. 2, on graama).
A moving wagon train has a jaghana... with refuse left behind obviously.
Otherwise, "in the back, i.e. western side", as once in JB where Indra
threw the horse head to the 'backside'/ western side of Kuruksetra (east =
front).

Hope that helps...MW.

>Does anybody have an idea on the meaning of the passage from
>JaiminIya-BrAhmaNa quoted below (the concluding passage of JB 2.440, p.350 in
>JB, ed. Raghu Vira & Lokesh Chandra, relating the story of SaramA and the
>PaNis), especially on the meaning of the words followed by question marks? Or
>otherwise maybe an idea on a grammar or dictionary or any other helpful work
>which covers JB?
>
>kA kIrtiz cid gavAm iti hovAca | eSaiva kIrtir gavAm iti tasya hendro galam
>utpILayann uvAca goSv evAhaM kila tavoSuSo (?) mukham iti | sa ha
>dadhidrapsaM vAmikSAM vodAsa | so ´yaM babhUva yo ´yaM vasantA bhUmikapaThur
>(?) jAyate | taM ha tac chazApAzliiIaM jAlma te jIvanaM bhUyAd yo no gA
>anuvidya tA na prAvoca iti | tasya haitad grAmasya jaghanArdhe (?) yat
>pApiSThaM taj jIvanam |
>
>Thanks in advance!
>Mathias

Michael Witzel
Department of Sanskrit & Indian Studies, Harvard University
2 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge MA 02138

ph. 617-496 2990 (also messages)
home page:     www.fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/mwpage.htm

Elect. Journ. of Vedic Studies:         www1.shore.net/~india/ejvs