The New Catalogus Catalogorum

Vishal Agarwal vishalagarwal at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 26 20:05:45 UTC 1999

I indeed use the NCC regularly (in conjuntion with Aufrect's catalog)and it
is disappointing that this project might come to an end prematurely. The
work of Aufrect is hopelessly out of date (but a monumental achievement
without doubt, and still very useful) and with any new volumes of NCC not
forthcomming, I have had to search the indiviual manuscript library catalogs
to search for texts of lost Vedic Schools. Needless to say, they are only a
poor substitute for the NCC. If you are planning to work on it, let me know
and I can start looking at my texts from that perspective.

----Original Message Follows----
From: Dominik Wujastyk <ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK>
Subject: The New Catalogus Catalogorum
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 11:00:36 +0100

Earlier this year, I had the opportunity to visit the New Catalogus
Catalogorum project at the University of Madras.  I have visited several
times before, but this time I was more struck than ever by the sense of
despair hanging over the project, and expressed by the staff.

I use the NCC regularly in my work, and find it invaluable.  Flawed, yes,
but nevertheless a unique and irreplaceable guide to the source material
of Sanskrit and Prakrit literature.