Continuing the review of Passions of the Tongue

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 17 20:00:26 UTC 1999

>But it is a noun - the origin of which might be from anywhere. That's why I
>asked Tamizh scholars to give evidence whether 'ha' is part of the original
>Tamizh language not used as a noun.

  Puumpukaar is a Tamil word which is pronounced as Puumpuhaar.
Puumpukaar means the beautiful town where Kaveri enters the sea;
pukaar comes from the ta. verb, "puku" (to enter), which is spoken
as "puhu".

[...]
>If you want to bolster your argument, it would be better
>to come up with proof that 'ha' was actually in use
>in ancient Tamizh.

I have always transliterated tamil letter "ka" as "ka"
following Madras Univ. Tamil lexicon. Pl. check the archives
from 1994 onwards. Tamil "vallin2am" letters
ka, ca, Ta, ta, pa, Ra has multiple sounds. The sounds are
predictable from their position in a word. I have given those sounds
for vallin2am ("hard" consonants) letters on 6 March 1998.
For example, tamil letter "k" sounds like 1)an english g
when occuring after nasal G; 2) an english "k" word-initially
or while doubling; 3) a type of english "h" in-between two vowels. Whether
tamil "k" is in a noun or a verb does not matter
for pronouncing it. "k" will be spoken as k or g or h depending
on the position in a word.

Regards,
N. Ganesan