Posting of computer, transliteration and font etc. questions to Indology

Brian Akers Sfauthor at AOL.COM
Thu Sep 16 20:12:23 UTC 1999

In a message dated 9/16/99 1:30:32 PM, harryspier at HOTMAIL.COM writes:

>One idea I had about the way it might work is:  If
>someone had a computer, font, or  transliteration question that needed
>a timely answer and some mutual question/answer dialogue was probably needed
>then they could send a very short posting to Indology letting them know
>there was a new question in the chat room.  Those members interested in
>this could then correspond thru the chat room without worrying about clogging
>Indology's bandwidth even if it took many back and forth messages to solve
>the problem.
>
>1) Perhaps Dominik could say whether he feels this is appropriate for the
Indology list.

>2) If other members are interested perhaps they could indicate this or
>if they have another idea.

I, too, find these issues more important than acrimonious debates about
you-know-what. It seems they should fall within the scope of this list.

However, if they do not, maybe a separate forum, perhaps called _Indological
Publishing_ would be in order? It could deal with all facets of the process:

1) Computers: fonts, keyboard layouts, operating systems, transliteration
standards, etc.

2) Sources: locating critical (and other) editions, locating previous
translations, resolving copyright questions, etc.

3) Translations: requesting and receiving help with difficult passages, etc.

4) Other: perhaps also a meeting place for translators, authors, publishers,
editors, etc.

Excluded would be all topics extraneous to preparing and publishing
Indological works.

That's my two cents for now.

Brian

Brian Dana Akers