Tamil Heritage

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Wed Sep 15 18:36:53 UTC 1999

--- nanda chandran <vpcnk at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

> And note that (if I remember right) Thiruvalluvar himself chides brAhmanas
> against being too restrictive with their women, which indirectly reflects
> the Arya worldview with respect to chastity.

  This is something new I have not heard of. Is there a quote?

  OTOH:
  Kapilar, a brAhman, enjoys eating meat and drinking liquor while partying
with Kings. He sings about these parties several centuries before
Thiruvalluvar.
Comparable with Yajnavalkya relishing fatty beaf in SB.

  Thiruvalluvar chides brahmins for making animal slaughters in
the performance of Vedic sacrifices. "avi corintu aayiram vETTalin2
on2Ran2 uyir cekuttu uNNAmai nan2Ru".