Bibliographic information wanted

Harry Spier harryspier at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 12 20:12:06 UTC 1999

Dear list members,

1) Can someone tell me if it is still possible to purchase
Mayrhofer's A Concise etymological Sanskrit dictionary?  The citing I have
is "Kurzegefasstes etymologisches Worterbuch des Altindischen.  A concise
etymological Sanskrit Dictionary.  Heidelberg, C. Winter, 1953.  I can't
find it listed even as out-of-print.  Is C. Winter the publisher? I haven't
been able to find anything for that either on the internet.

2)A. A. MacDonell in the introduction to his "Vedic Grammar for Student's"
mention's his larger "Vedic Grammar".  I've always wondered why given the
easy availability and popularity of his other books for Vedic studies (and
the lack of other generally available english books for Vedic Sanskrit),
that this book has not been more readily available.    I found it cited only
3 times in the Indology archives.  I also see from the New York Public
Library oriental collections that it was reprinted in 1968 by Indology Book
House of Varanasi.  Was the material in this larger grammar made redundant
by his smaller Vedic Grammar for Students?  Is it still a sound guide for
Vedic studies?  Also how have his other books, his students grammar and
reader held up to the almost century of research since their publication?

Yours,

Harry