(Fwd) Banning Foreign Scholars in India.

Sun Sep 12 01:43:35 UTC 1999

I thought contemporary politics and government policies were to be avoided
on this list, but as it has already been raised, here goes.

Following the recent nuclear tests, Indian scientists were denied visas to
visit Europe and the USA. Many of those already working in foreign lands
were told to return to India, leaving their equipment and notes behind. And
it is an open secret where most of the funds of the better funded
non-governmental organizations (NGOs) come from. Obviously, the Indian
government is retaliating, in its own clumsy way.

I have long since given up expecting any long range perspective from Indian
journalists, whether they are in Arun Shourie's camp or A. G. Noorani's camp
or somewhere else. I would, however, expect those in academia to be better
in this regard. Do not lose sight of the fact that for all its ancientness,
India is still only 52 years old as a democracy.

Vidyasankar