Aryan invasion debate

Paul Kekai Manansala kekai at JPS.NET
Sun Sep 5 04:22:04 UTC 1999

Hello Samar,

As you already know through our personal correspondence, I am much
more in agreement with the theories you have offered than probably
most other people on this list (at least the active contributors).

Also, at one time I probably would have agreed somewhat with you on
the 'hard AIT' theory.

However, my research over the last half decade and new discoveries now
make me completely doubt any 'Aryan' invasion, although I don't dispute
the presence of Indo-European ethnic types.

Here are a few of the main reasons:

1. Practically no 'hard' archaeological evidence of an *invasion.* I am
careful here to distinguish invasion from mere migrations or mingling of
people.  Much of the earlier cited evidence has been refuted. Also,
there
are significant sites from Northern India dating to the relevant periods
suggested for the hypothetical 'invasion.'

2. Whatever cultures are suggested as 'invading' Aryans just don't pan
out.
The oft-cited Painted Grey Ware culture were sedentary people who
depended
predominantly on rice cultivation and pig raising.  They made Asura-type
pottery and are not associated with chariots or horse sacrifices.
Although
some horse remains have been found among them, that animal does not seem
have been of particular importance. The iron working of PGW is similar
that found in early East Indian rather than Central Asian sites. And the
PGW culture, up to the last data I've read, does not overlap IVC. The
before
and after anthropological data from this and surrounding regions just
doesn't
jibe with any form of intrusion of the type commonly suggested.

(continued in next post)