Oni no Kenkyu

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at PADMACHOLING.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Sat Oct 30 00:19:28 UTC 1999

Hi !

Shrinivas Tilak wrote:

>    I am looking for information about oni no kenkyu, a trickster
like
> character or type in the Japanese tradition. I understand it has a
parallel
> in the Chinese and possibly in the Indian tradition. Would
appreciate help
> in this matter, thanks in advance,

I think your terminology is a bit garbled -- what you have written
means "the study/research on demons" -- the "oni" are horned
three-eyed malicious giant demons but not noted for their
ntelligence  -- they are similar to ogres in Western mythology but are
though to have been imported from China along with Buddhism although
they are not overtly Buddhist figures.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge