Sindu river name

Ruth Laila Schmidt r.l.schmidt at EAST.UIO.NO
Fri Oct 22 14:00:24 UTC 1999

Turner, CDIAL # 13415 mentions the Burushaski word but regards it as a loan
into Burushaski. The Dardic languages generally have sin, si-n, si-nd, send
for 'river'. Prof. Witzel, have you any comment?

With best wishes,

Ruth Schmidt

>>   I have suggested elsewhere that the very name for
>> the region of Sindh, and
>> the original name of the Indus river (OIA sindhu-,
>> which lacks any other
>> plausible etymology), may be connected with this
>> Dravidian word for "date"
>> (Southworth forthcoming[b]."
>>

>Another etymology of interest for sindhu is Burushaski
>Sinda "water". cf J. Harmatta in "Archaeology of South
>Asia", 1989. Also, M Witzel in Indology archives.

Ruth Laila Schmidt
Dept of East European and Oriental Studies
University of Oslo
P.O. Box 1030 Blindern
N-0315 Oslo, Norway
Phone: (47) 22 85 55 86