curses, enchantments and miracles

K S Arjunwadkar arjunwadkar at MCMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 6 08:10:50 UTC 1999

Date sent:              Tue, 5 Oct 1999 19:42:29 +0100
Send reply to:          Indology <INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK>
From:                   Anna M=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=FCller?= <amuellerin at HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:                curses, enchantments and miracles
To:                     INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK

> I intend to work about curses, enchantments and miracles in the Hindu and
> Muslim context in ancient India, particularly in the medieval times. In
> consideration of the extent of the literary sources, which can hardly be
> sifted through by myself I'd be grateful for any hint to texts, passages
> etc. dealing with the above mentioned subjects, no matter published in
> Sanskrit only. Thank you for any efforts.

The history of your subject goes as far back as the Atharva-veda,
for which you may consult works on the history of Sanskrit/Vedic
literature by Winternitz and others.
I know a collative work on the subject (curses and boons in the
Raamaayana) in Marathi by Prof. Bhiday, also translated into
Kannada. For copies of such books you may contact a bookseller
in Pune. (For example, International Book Service, Pune 411 004,
India.) There is no possibility of the existence of a work in Sanskrit
focussed on the academic aspect of the subject.
KSA/6-10-1999